Wanna Quit Smoking?

“Lack of knowledge means human suffering," is a truism only arguably effective in discouraging smoking. In my lifetime I've probably suggested it to hundreds of people, but most of them were already aware of it. I've seen that most smokers know their habit can cause diseases like cancer, TB, chronic cough, bronchitis, etc., or at the very least that it's injurious to health.

Three years ago I was traveling by bus, and an elderly woman occupied the adjacent seat. She lit a cigarette. From childhood I remember not liking the smell of cigarettes and found it very hard to breath, along with the headaches it caused me. So, for my own benefit as well, I tried to explain the impact of cigarettes on health. Before I'd finished my first sentence she replied, "I know the impact of cigarettes. It may be the cause of TB, cancer and other diseases, but -- what to do -- I can't give it up." Then she drew two or three deep puffs and tossed the cigarette out the window.

A month ago I asked a friend while he was smoking, "You are well aware of the impact of smoking, but even so you smoke -- why?"

"My friend! To know this mystery you have to experience it. Just take two puffs," he answered, handing me the burning cigarette. Even though he was joking, I had no answer.

It would be better to avoid smoking in the first place, but owing to faddism and curiosity people get addicted. Many youth smoke to flaunt their hipness, and when they think it's time to quit, they've gotten addicted and can't.

Many say that once the habit of smoking is formed, it's very difficult to quit and that they can miss a meal but not a cigarette.

I had read news about the relationship of smoking to different beverages in the Radhani Weekly for April 19, 2007. Referring to the Journal of Nicotine and Tobacco Research, the Weekly published the following:
"The research says that, depending on the beverage, the interest in smoking will vary and has shown a negative correlation with dairy items and fruit.

According to the research, 19 percent of participants reported a decreased craving after having milk or other dairy products. Likewise, 14 percent reported that after drinking water or juice or other non-caffeinated products the taste of a cigarette was adversely affected. Sixteen percent reported that after eating fruit cigarettes also tended to lose their taste.

The research also found a positive correlation of smoking with alcohol and caffeinated drinks: 44 percent reported that drinking alcohol enhanced the taste and interest in smoking, and 45 percent reported an improvement in taste after drinking tea, coffee or cola."
I got interested in this research and decided to test it, using my smoker friends' reaction to dairy and fruit items. Two friends agreed to take part by having milk and juice routinely.

Both used to smoke between 10 and 12 cigarettes daily. They began with one glass of milk in the morning, one in the evening and two glasses of juice in the afternoon. I’d advised them to have the milk or juice while smoking. For example, both used to smoke first thing in the morning with black coffee and at night after a meal. From the first day they reduced their smoking morning and night. It was interesting when they said how milk spoiled the taste of cigarettes when they smoked and drank milk at the same time. Then I advised them to have milk whenever they craved a cigarette.

During this trial period one friend completely gave up smoking and the other managed a significant reduction. He used to go through 12 cigarettes a day but now smokes only occasionally while traveling. I feel sure that he, too, will quit altogether soon.

Inspired by these results, I've emailed them to other friends. Now I'm getting positive feedback from them to the effect that they are also able to reduce or quit smoking.

I would like to urge all readers: If you or any friend or relative are addicted to nicotine and sincerely want to quit, why not try out this research technique for yourself? It's easy, and whether it works or not all you can lose is a dangerous habit.

Note: This article is also available on Ohmy News International